Saturday, April 18, 2009

Felt Bag


I wanted to make a cute little bag to hold chocolates for a hostess gift, so I sewed this one up pretty quickly. I wish I had taken photos of the process, but I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the end result.

The How-To:
  1. Cut a piece of felt. I used white felt cut to 6 1/4" x 12" to create a finished bag size of approximately 5 1/4" x 6".
  2. Cut the felt pieces that you'll embroider onto the bag. I used the Sizzix Bigz Scallop Circle and Bird with Vine dies. I cut the Bird w Vine out of brown to form the base layer, then cut it from light blue and rose to make the bird and flower layers.
  3. Trim edge of circle to desired size and pin to the white felt. Hand embroider the scallop circle to the front of the felt.
  4. Turn the felt over and fold in half right sides together. Sew sides of bag closed with 1/4 to 1/2" seam backstitching on both ends.
  5. Flip the bag right side out, and the scallop circle is neatly sandwiched in the seam to create a nice finished edge.
  6. Lightly glue the vine piece to the bag. I only ran glue on the vine and leaves where I would not be stitching.
  7. Use pins to tack the rest of the design in place and embroider with floss.
  8. Cut handles to 1" x 12" and sew with a decorative stitch to the front and back of the bag.

Voila! Hang your little bag on a bottle of wine or Godiva White Chocolate liquor (yum! Bring on the chocolate martinis!!) and fill the bag with fine chocolates.

4 comments:

  1. I just love your felt birdie bag!! It's so funny to me that you used these particular Sizzix Bigz dies. I was comtemplating buying the exact same dies today. Now I know I have to buy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! So nice bag!!
    Hugs, Hipsu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, this is just darling! Thanks for sharing your instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a beautiful little bag. Thanks for checking out my Cupcake Party - I look forward to stopping by your blog again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!