Saturday, March 9, 2013

project life

Project Life.  It's everywhere you look: Pinterest, Amazon, Instagram, people's blogs. 
All the cool kids are doing it. 

It took me a while to come off the proverbial fence, but I decided to give it a try this year.

I'm already several weeks behind {what else is new}, but the year is still young, right?  I can catch up.

The Title Page:
 I was hoping to get a family photo for this page, but that didn't happen (we'll get the annual family portrait on Easter in a few weeks).
And I'm still waiting for the boys (all 4 of them) to write their hopes and dreams for 2013.  It'll happen. Maybe I'll take away dessert until they do it ;)

Week one:

Week two:

I've been reflecting on my approach to Project Life and came up with these things:
  • keep it simple: no fancy papers or expensive embellishments, the purpose is to capture the moments and the ephemera, the bits and pieces that make up our lives
  • record the little moments that would otherwise be forgotten: take notice, be open and aware, live fully and document the everyday
  • don't stress: if one week is lacking content, photos, or excitement, use some filler material (favorite quotes, books we're all reading, things we're currently doing, favorite things, a recipe from the week, a note to someone, the grocery bill receipt), anything at all to say, "hey, we're here, this is our life, we're living it."
  • I can always catch up: it's ok if I fall behind, as long as I take some notes, snap some photos, draw some sketches.  If I keep good records, putting the actual page together is nothing and can be done at any time.
  • this doesn't replace scrapbooking: I'm still going to create traditional scrapbook pages.  Project Life certainly serves its purpose, but doesn't take the place of the creative outlet and documentation of our lives that scrapbooking affords me.
I think my favorite tool for this project is going to be my Silhouette.  There are hundreds of PL cut files out there, and it's pretty easy to design your own.  This machine and software never cease to amaze me.

Another favorite tool is Instagram.  The best camera is the one you have with you, right?



 There are also oodles and caboodles of FREE (or inexpensive) printables suitable for Project Life.  I have a Pinterest board here with lots, and I know I'll be adding plenty more throughout the year.

So there it is.  I'm committed.  I'm all in.  Let's do this, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!